Eagle Scout Advancement
Eagle Scout Information
Time Extension for completing Eagle rank requirement due to COVID-19
The Boy Scouts of America has approved two big temporary changes to advancement rules, in response to difficulties arising from the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus.
First: effectively immediately through September 30, 2020, local councils have the authority to grant extensions for Scouts to complete requirements for the ranks of Eagle Scout or Quartermaster, or the Venturing Summit Award. However, these local council extensions may only be granted if COVID-19 disruptions are the reason the Scout needs extra time to complete these requirements.
To be clear, this extension would grant time to complete specific requirements impacted by COVID-19 disruptions – like completing the Eagle service project. Scouts BSA members must already hold the Life Scout rank in order to qualify for this specific extension.
Second: now through September 30, 2020, BSA will accept electronic or digital signatures for youth applicants and unit approvals on these award applications. This includes printing out the application document, signing it with a pen, scanning/taking a picture, and sending via email or other appropriate communication platform to the next person for signature.
To request an extension that would give a Scout more time to complete Eagle requirements, please:
- complete the BSA form 188.8.131.52 “Request for Extension of Time to Earn Eagle Scout Rank”
- Make sure you enter the board of review date when you earned the Life rank
- In the field titled, “Please provide a brief summary of circumstances…,” tell us why COVID-19 conditions are preventing you from completing all award requirements before your 18th birthday
- In the boxes below the “Please provide a brief summary of circumstances” field, you must fill in the space for parent’s name, phone number, and email
- submit the completed form to the Service Center by one of the following means:
- Attaching an electronic copy to an email to April.email@example.com
- Dropping off a physical copy in the Council Dropbox located on the side of the building, or
- Mailing to Central Georgia Council / Attn: Eagle Processor, 4335 Confederate Way, Macon GA 31217
Time Extension for Eagle Board of Review due to COVID-19
The following standard council procedure will be of special interest to Scouts planning their Eagle board of review. Postponements of up to six months past the Scout’s 18th birthday are easily obtained.
The BSA Guide to Advancement Section 184.108.40.206 states:
An Eagle Scout board of review may occur, without special approval, within three months after a Scout’s 18th birthday. If a board of review is to be held three to six months afterward, the local council must preapprove it. To initiate approval, the candidate, the candidate’s parent or guardian, the unit leader, or a unit committee member attaches to the application a statement explaining the delay.
Requests for a time extension for the Eagle board of review for more than three months, but less than six months after the Scout’s 18th birthday are made by attaching a request to the Eagle rank application when it is delivered to April Meeks at the Service Center for verification, prior to the board.
Scouts planning their Eagle board of review can plan on receiving approval for time extensions for up to six months past their 18th birthday. Note that this extension applies only to the board of review. All other rank requirements must be completed before the Scout’s 18th birthday.
Time extensions to hold a board for up to three months after the Scout’s 18th birthday do not require approval.
Have Eagle Process Questions?
If you have questions about applying for the rank of Eagle Scout, please contact April Meeks at 478.743.9386 or April.firstname.lastname@example.org
Need to contact your District Advancement Chairman?
|Robert L. Scott||Elmer Carr||John.Carr.email@example.com|
|Scout Reach||Dr. Jimmie Smithfirstname.lastname@example.org|
I’m a Scout who is an Eagle candidate. What do I do next?
- Complete all requirements
- Prepare the Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook
- Complete the Eagle Rank Application
- Drop off (or have someone else drop off) between 8:30am-5:00pm or mail your Eagle application with original signatures, Statement of Life Ambitions, to our Eagle Processor at the Council Service Center
- Wait for your District Advancement Committee to schedule your Eagle Scout Board of Review.
- Attend your Eagle Scout Board of Review
- Upon successful completion of your Board of Review, deliver your completed, original Eagle Scout Application to our Eagle Processor at the Council Service Center
- Wait for your Eagle Scout documentation to be undergo final review by the Boy Scouts of America’s national Advancement Team (usually 2-3 weeks)
Scholarships for Eagle Scouts
Being an Eagle Scout can carry some weight on college admission forms and scholarship applications. In addition, some scholarships exist for the sole purpose of helping an Eagle Scout further his education.